Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Welcome to Coach Wagner's Blog!

I live, eat, sleep, breathe, just all around love this great game of ice hockey.  I've seen the best it has to offer.  I've unfortunately seen the worst.  This is my vehicle, this is my way of communicating to the world of ice hoceky some of the things I see and experience on a weekly basis.  The good.  The great.  The bad.  And of course, the ugly! 

I coach the Carolina Lightning in Raleigh, NC.  A great organization that is run by people that have the same beliefs that I do (for the most part).  Kids first.  Fun.  And Discipline.  I'm a very strict coach.  I preach discipline, respect, standard, pride, integrity and sportsmanship - oh yeah, and FUN!  I would rather win a game 4-2 with an empty-netter as the clock winds down than win 14-1.  I've coached teams in both spots.  We've won big, we've lost big, we've won championships, we've struggled, but all in all, it's about coaching the kids.  Not winning and losing. 

So this is where it all begins.  This is where I tell you what I am thinking.  What I see.  Where I get to complain about the officials, or applaud them.  Where I get to talk about what makes coaching great and what makes coaching rather challenging.  Yes, when coaching 15 and 16 year old boys, there are HUGE challenges.  I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Welcome to my world.  Coach Wagner's world.  I coach with a strong fist and a heavy heart.  I demand that the kids play a certain way - a way they would like to be played against.  So here we go.  This is my life as a Coach.  Let the fun....Begin!

Disclaimer - these are my thoughts and my thoughts alone.  They do not represent those of the organizations which I Coach. 

5 comments:

  1. You were the inspiration on this one, Tom. Something I thought about doing for a long time. Finally pieced it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you! looking good so far. even after more than 20 years of watching hockey, while watching games i still don't see half of what you broke down in your above entry....i think the blog will help us spectators as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog.. I look forward to each new one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Coach Wagner,

    great blog.
    Here is an app that we have developed for hockey coaches. Check it out at Google Play:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.felle.hockeymanager.app

    Regards,
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete