Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Art Of - Keeping Your Feet Moving

I am sure that so many young players out there often hear coaches screaming - "KEEP YOUR FEET MOVING!"  This is a simple thing to do and easy to understand.  Now, don't get me wrong, I understand, as should you, that there are times when you should "save your legs" while out on the ice.  During your shift, you're not going to be flying around like a chicken with your head cut-off for its entirety.  There are moments when you just simply need to keep your feet moving.  It's simple.  Don't stop skating.  Crossovers.  Stride.  Quick.  Strong.  MOVE!  (I hear my coaching voice come out on those last few words)

In a game on December 27th versus the Carolina Hurricanes, Chris Kunitz of the Pittsburgh Penguins received a zone exit pass from Evgeni Malkin.  When you see Kunitz get the puck, it doesn't look like there is much space to go.  What's he do?  He keeps his feet moving towards the open ice.  Scroll ahead to the 00:45 mark of this video...


See how easy?  If Kunitz stops his feet from moving in that situation, it's an EASY play for Canes D-man Tim Gleason.  Instead, Kunitz charged the middle of the ice and Gleason's feet couldn't keep up.  As a defensman, you always want a few feet to get up to speed moving backwards.  Because Kunitz kept his feet moving, he beat both Canes defensemen to the middle of the ice and got a great shot on goal.  If you didn't notice, watch Bryan Allen, #5 of the Hurricanes again.  What does he do?  If you're still not sure, he STOPPED skating.  Yeah, it looks like Gleason has Kunitz wrapped up but it doesn't matter.  If the puck is going towards your goal, you have to do everything you can to get the puck out of the danger area.  As much as Kunitz's hard ward should be lauded in this play, Allen's should brought to the forefront as well.  That goal probably does not happen if Allen keeps skating.  Kunitz's speed and ability to keep his feet moving in traffic lead to a tying goal for the Pittsburgh Penguins.  Neal's goal wasn't pretty, but it doesn't matter.  A goal is a goal.  Plain and simple.  Kunitz is a blue-collar hockey player who is a "north-south" kind of guy, a guy coaches love (I will get into "north-soouth" another day).  He skates in straight lines, STRAIGHT to his target.  He works hard and always keeps his feet moving.  In this instance, it lead to a goal.

So when you hear your coach screaming at you to keep skating, DO IT.  Don't do what the other players are doing around you.  YOU need to always dictate the play.  If your opponent is moving slow, you speed up.  If you're on a forecheck and a defensman stops skating, move faster and be the first guy to the puck.  If you work hard and keep your feet moving, you will be rewarded.

Work Hard.  Have Fun.  And always KEEP YOUR FEET MOVING!

*Have to throw a quick shout out to former Ferris State Bulldog (my alma mater) Chris Kunitz.  Still, to this day, making us BULLDOGS proud!
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I found your blog while searching for hockey skills and I though that maybe you could answer me. My coach is always telling me to keep moving on the breakout since I always end up late on plays. How can you keep your feet moving while receiving a breakout pass ? Should I curl in the defensive zone ? I got to improve this part of my game but I just don't know how! My skating is good but my reaction seems to be slow.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete